Owning a direct sales company is one of the most well-known avenues for helping to generate extra income for your family’s budget. A major benefit of working with a direct sales company is that, quite often, they provide you with a free website to send prospective team members. While this company website might do the trick in a pinch, if you want to see your sales and your team explode, consider purchasing your own domain name.
Why would owning your own domain name be a good idea? There are actually several reasons. Here are six reasons to consider before deciding to purchase a domain name or not:
1. It’s simple to remember. As an associate of a direct sales company, “your” webpage will lead prospective clients to the company, using a URL similar to this: http://www.parentcompany.com/yourname. If you purchase your own domain name, your website address would look quite different: http://www.yourdomain.com. It is much easier for a prospective customer or team member to remember the second domain name.
2. It sets you apart. Choosing your own domain name allows you freedom to add your own personality to your business. You’re not required to maintain the company’s status quo if you have your own name. Your business reflects you and helps you stand out from the crowd.
3. You know how you’re doing. If you have your own domain, you can track the number of visitors to your website, and you know how they’ve found you. You can try different marketing campaigns and see which one is bringing in the most traffic. Having a company website doesn’t allow you this option.
4. Give them something extra. Having your own domain name, as opposed to a company website, also allows you to offer your clients and team members extras. Do you want to provide content to help your team members? Consider writing articles that will give them tools to grow their business.
5. Multiple emails come in handy. Just imagine, instead of having all your company email coming to one address and having to plod through each and every one, you could have an email address to match each function of your business: one for those requesting further information, one for a newsletter that you’ve started, one for comments/suggestions, and one that’s dedicated to team members only.
6. Who do you want to benefit from all your website traffic? If you do spend a good deal of time marketing your business and people go to your company’s website, who will be the one to benefit most from it? Your parent company, of course!
Having your own domain name, however, lets you have prospective customers and team members go to your personal website first. If they would like further information, you can link to your company website. By doing this, you will have gotten “first dibs” on the prospect rather than their having to search a large website to find you.
While these six reasons for having your own domain name for your direct sales business aren’t the only ones, they are something to consider before you choose to “just” use the site your company has provided. The reasons for having your own domain name are varied, but ultimately the choice is up to you.