As much as many direct sellers hate the phone, it’s important that we use it to keep our business moving. Many do not even realize what you can accomplish by making customer care calls but have you considered these reasons:
- Check to see how a customer likes their purchase
- Call to see if the customer needs to purchase additional product or replacements
- To introduce a new catalogue or product line
- To advise of products being discontinued
- Add bookings to your calendar
- Get orders and reorders
- Asking for referrals
- Invitation to events
When you are getting ready to make your calls, there are a few things you can do to make them more pleasant for you.
- Be positive when picking up the phone and smile.
- Be professional. People decide within 15 seconds if they are going to talk to you.
- Ask if now is a good time to talk. If not, ask if you can call back at a later time and if there is a time that would be better.
- Have a purpose when you pick up the phone and let them know right away
- Personalize your call. Add notes to your call list for the next time you call and refer to them. Ask about their new baby or the new job.
- Be confident! You have something exciting to share so make sure this comes through.
- Have a script prepared. But.. do not write it in paragraph form, make it in bullet points so that it feels more natural.
- Follow up on your presentation before hanging up. If you called to ask about a booking but you got side tracked, return to it and ask before ending the call.
Chances are a lot of the reason why you avoid doing calls is that you do not feel confident or how to approach them. Follow these ideas and you won’t even notice the weight of the phone.